Hatha yoga – the branch of Hatha yoga is based on main principle of establishing balance between Ha (Pingla Nadi) and Tha (Ida Nadi) and through this facilitating the Prana Vayu to enter into susumna as well as Kundalini arousal and take the prana Vayu to sahasara (The Seventh Cakra) at the top of the head.
According to Guru Goraksanath the founder of Hatha yoga has divided Hatha yoga into six limbs to practice – Asana, Pranayama, Pratyahara, Dharana, Dhayana and Samadhi.
Foundation of Hatha Yoga deal with six sat Karma Kriyas (cleansing process). Practice of six sat karma kriyas create harmony between the two pranic flow Ida and Pingla, thereby attaining physical and mental purification and balance, therefor deepen into farther practice of Hatha Yoga.
Following sat karma –
- Neti (cleansing the nasal passages)
- Dhauti (cleansing of the head)
- Nauli (massaging and strengthening the abdominal)
- Basti (washing and toning the large intestine)
- Kapalbhati (cleansing frontal region of the brain)
- Trataka (developing the power of concentration)